Old 09-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

"Sunflower" wrote in message
news

Go to www.freecycle.org/ and sign up for the group in your area. Place a
WANTED: canning supplies on the list.

Hey wow - what a good idea. I never knew this existed ! I have lots of stuff
I no longer need that I could also offer. I usually give to charity but this
is a good idea to get stuff to people who are looking for it too.

Thanks for that - I'm in the uk and there are groups near to me. It seems a
very good concept, I'll read the site in depth.

There are a lot of folks out there
who've canned only a time or two and would probably like to get rid of

them.
You can reuse the jars and bands, but you'll need to buy new lids, which

is
pretty cheap. A plain old stockpot that you boil your spaghetti noodles

in
will work for the water bath. All you now need is some tongs, and someone
will probably come through with those as well. If you can see a rolling
boil on your stove and have a clock that you can see for timing, you don't
really need to worry too much about temperature. But, you might also ask

if
anyone has a large print thermometer as well. It never hurts to ask YOu
might also think about sun drying some of the tomatoes. It's a bit easier
labor wise, and they make really good sauces when reconstituted.

I'll try a search on google for that - I am assuming sun is one of the
requirements ? - we did some sun here for a week or so but now it has
clouded over again. ;-)

Rachael