Old 09-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message

I'm wondering why she just does not go ahead and can it? :-)

She doesn't have a canner / equipment nor the money to buy one. ;-) I
considered it but for three things.

a) I'm not sure I can justify the outlay for something I might use only once
a year when my tomatoes come in.
b) I have just laid out money on a new fridgefreezer cos my old one died. In
the height of summer over here.It always happens that way !
c) I am on disibility benefits which means that purchase has pretty much
cleaned out all my reserves ! Having looked at prices for canning starter
kits - water bath methods and steamers - I just don't have that sort of
money to spend on something I might not use alot.

Am I missing a cheaper way to do it ?

Yes.
A single pressure cooker/canner is all that you need.
It usually comes with jar tongs.

And of course some jars, lids and rings. :-)

A canner is less than $100.00.

http://tinyurl.com/5oext

I understand money being tight, but pressure cookers are also good for
_lots_ of cooking applications! I use mine all the time.

If you only can in pint jars, you can get by with the smaller one and
it's great for cooking rice, potatoes, yams, pot roast, bone stock.....

I could go on. I grew up with mom teaching me to use a pressure cooker
and it's fabulous.

Hope this helps?

K.

I'm also wary of having to read temperatures if my wellbeing might depend on
it - the reason I'm on DB is that I am seventy percent blind.

Rachael

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...