Old 15-08-2004, 02:02 AM
figaro

Actually, the birds don't like to defecate where they drink and bath. There
are some scrub type bushes behind the bath where they perch, dry themselves
off, and anything else they feel they need to do.

I must admit that I have a different take on ponds than a lot of people
here. My goal is primarily a wildlife habitat because I live in the arid
portion of southern California--I like to help out the critters in this
somewhat harsh environment. Secondarily, the serenity of the water, fish,
lilies, dragonflies, reflections, sounds are all absolutely necessary for my
sanity. Finally, I view my pond as a living art project; trying to mimick
nature when I can, combining color, texture, and tone to form an escape
which is hopefully real enough to make myself believe I am in the middle of
nowhere sitting next to a quiet reflective pool without another soul within
miles. ....and then the animals start to visit....and I am in heaven.

Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 21:16:18 GMT
Subject: Is there such a thing as a solar powered pump?

GASP.... that introduces a lot of bird sh*t into the pond.. and birds carry
lots of
fish cooties from pond to pond. I net my veggie filter so birds cannot even
take a
drink from the pond and the fish been healthy since. Ingrid

figaro wrote:
The rock is set on stones on a large pond shelf and the pump pushes the
water up about 1 foot into the depression for an excellent bird bath. The
water then trickles down one side of the rock into the pond.