Old 15-08-2004, 03:05 AM
Grubber

"figaro" wrote in message
Actually, the birds don't like to defecate where they drink and bath.

There
are some scrub type bushes behind the bath where they perch, dry

themselves
off, and anything else they feel they need to do.

I must admit that I have a different take on ponds than a lot of people
here. My goal is primarily a wildlife habitat because I live in the arid
portion of southern California--I like to help out the critters in this
somewhat harsh environment. Secondarily, the serenity of the water, fish,
lilies, dragonflies, reflections, sounds are all absolutely necessary for

my
sanity. Finally, I view my pond as a living art project; trying to mimick
nature when I can, combining color, texture, and tone to form an escape
which is hopefully real enough to make myself believe I am in the middle

of
nowhere sitting next to a quiet reflective pool without another soul

within
miles. ....and then the animals start to visit....and I am in heaven.

I originally put in my small pond so there would be a water source to
attract birds and butterflies. I like my fish, but they are on down the
list of things I enjoy about my ponds.

I'm six miles from the state capitol and two major roads are too close to
ever fool myself that I am in the middle of nowhere, but the pond and the
stream and the dragonflies and the birds and the butterflies and the lotus
and the lilies and the roses and the morning glories and the plumbago and
the salvias and the lantana and the pomgranate and the callas and the
moonflowers and the passion flowers and the shade of the old oak tree are
what allow me to keep politics and work and idiots in the proper
perspective.