Old 08-08-2004, 11:41 PM
Dewitt

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 21:17:33 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

Should I repot it completely, and replace all the moss?

I am thinking of replacing the plastic pot with a clay one. I would even
consider switched the medium, except that most of my Phals thrive in my
apartment in moss, and I can't really tell whether bark is dry, and I have
no experience with any other medium yet. What would you recommend?

Why is this one Phal's medium growing moldy and not drying out, while
adjacent Phals are doing well? Any ideas? By the way, I had repotted this
plant earlier this year, so the moss should have been fairly fresh. I think
I even repotted another plant at the same time, probably in moss coming out
of the same bag, and this is the only plant showing this problem. Baffles
me.

My guess is that this one pot is staying wet because the sphagnum was
potted a bit tighter than your other pots. I have never been able to
handle sphagnum in plastic pots bigger than 4" and even at that size
the pots don't all dry out in the same amount of time. Clay pots
w/sphagnum work great for me up to about 8", but require at least
yearly repotting. I've switched almost all my phals over to a CHC
(coconut husk chip) mix in plastic pots. Works much better for me
than a bark based mix.

deg