Old 15-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:29:44 +0000 (UTC), "Graham Dixon"
wrote:

I remember reading - some years ago - about bee & wasp stings - On sting is
acid and the other alkaline so the treatment for relief is vinegar for the
alkaline sting or bicarbonate of soda for the acid sting.

I can't remember which is which (probably something to do with my age) does
anyone know?

Graham

Some of us will remember theRickets "blue bags" which our mothers and
grandmothers used to make washing whiter.
We had this "aide memoire": Bee sting; Blue bag and Wasp; Vinegar so I
suppose equally Bee;Bicarb.
I think the remedy neutralises the sting, therefore the bee sting is
acid and needs bicarb and vice versa.
Incidentally, if you don't know which insect has stung, the wasp
withdraws its sting, the bee leaves the sting and poison sac behind.

Pam in Bristol