Old 15-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Dave Poole
writes

Back to feelings, I have great difficulty in according plants with
the ability to feel in an emotional way (love, hate etc.) for this
requires quite complex thought processing. Emotion is a consequence
of the need to remain together (as a pairing) or within one's own peer
group for self protection and the successful rearing of young. Its
roots are in baser instincts of the survival of the species and I have
great problems in accepting that such sensations are present in any
other than life forms with a highly organised central nervous systems.

When plants react to circumstances in a defensive or protective way, is
that not an equivalent of fear or wariness in animals? And when they act
in ways which will lead to their procreation, isn't that equivalent to
the mating instinct in animals, known as love (or whatever) in humans?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.