Old 15-08-2004, 07:59 PM
James Nipper

Default Azalea Root Rot ??

My Mom has some very old Azaleas, probably at least 50 years old. They
have always done very well, and bloom well this year. I cut them back for
her each year, usually doing just a "trim" , but at times I cut them back
1/3 of their total height, and there has never been a problem. This year,
they were just "trimmed."

Here in Fla, we had a lot of rain in the Spring and early Summer. These
azaleas are now dying from something. She took a sample to a nursery, and
they said it looked like root rot. I did not talk with them myself, but
it seems their opinon was that there was no cure.

I have thought there is nothing to lose, to go ahead and cut them **way**
back, in the hopes that might rejuvenate them some how. I have told her not
to water them for a while.

Any other ideas ?????????

Thanks for any help !!

--James--