Old 15-08-2004, 06:09 PM
V_coerulea

You don't mention if the browning area is firm or soft. How rapid does the
spot spread? Have you tried any treatments, physiological or chemical
besides cutting off the spot? You say it's on various leaves. Are they
usually the bottom ones? Do the same plants get spots again in the same
areas (lower, medium or new leaves)? Have any of your plants died from this?
It certainly does not appear to be "natural" meaning normal. And I doubt
it's nutritional or more leavs would be affected on each plant. It certainly
looks like it could be fungal or bacterial. I also resembles sunburn if a
drop or two of water or fertilizer was on the leaf and got some sun coming
in the window. But I'd go with the former especially if the brown is soft
and waterlogged. Try cutting off the affected area and soaking the cut end
in Physan for 10-15 min and then treating with sulfur or cinnamon. I had a
St Swithin that lost several leaves to Erwinia (Brown rot) and I'm sure
would have died. In desperation, I knocked the plant out of the pot, shook
off all the medium, and soaked the whole plant in Physan for 20 min. I still
have that plant today and it's big and beautiful.
Good Luck
Gary

"Frank Rittwager" wrote in message

Can anyone take a guess at what this leaf problem is? I have numerous

Paphs
of several kinds (species, primaries, and novelties), and they all seem to
get this type of spot on various leaves on a regular basis. When I cut

off
the end of the leaf, the problem seems to stop spreading for a couple of
months, and then the leaf starts to die (becomes dark brown) again

(starting
at the end of the leaf). Is this just natural?

http://216.160.131.65/LeafSpot1.jpg
http://216.160.131.65/LeafSpot2.jpg

Environmental Details:
Grown In: Medium Sized Coconut Husk
Plant Food: "Grow More" Urea Free 20-10-20
Watering Schedule: Every 4-5 days
Temperatu ~75 degrees F.
Lights: Natural and 4 Foot Cool-Warm Bulb (Mixed)

Please let me know if I can supply any more details or additional

photos...

Thanks for any information or opinions!!!!
Frank