Old 15-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Broadback

Pam Moore wrote:

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:29:44 +0000 (UTC), "Graham Dixon"
wrote:

I remember reading - some years ago - about bee & wasp stings - On sting is
acid and the other alkaline so the treatment for relief is vinegar for the
alkaline sting or bicarbonate of soda for the acid sting.

I can't remember which is which (probably something to do with my age) does
anyone know?

Graham

Snip

withdraws its sting, the bee leaves the sting and poison sac behind.

Pam in Bristol

Not strictly accurate.
The wasp sting is smooth like a needle, so if you brush it off away it
goes no problems. A bee sting is a little like a corkscrew, so brushing
it off tears the sting from the bee (which dies) leaving the sting in
your flesh.
As a child my father, who kept bees, taught me that IF you can control
yourself the bee will work its sting out by a circling motion. Having
been stung on several occasions and watching the bee I can verify this.
The reaction is far less .

--
Please do not reply by Email, as all
emails to this address are automatically deleted.