Old 15-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:37:12 +0000 (UTC), Rodders wrote:

A wasp sting is formic acid

I think you're confusing ants with bees and wasps.

Ant stings are formic acid (the very word "formic" being derived
from the Latin for "ant"); and they may be bites rather than
proper stings. Formic acid is a very simple compound, chemically
speaking.

Bee (and afaik wasp) stings contain mixtures of kinins, fairly
short-chain proteins with powerful physiological effects. There
may be other ingredients as well. Kinins cause intense pain,
swelling, and so on. That they're proteins explains why some
people become allergic, as allergies are almost entirely in
response to proteins, not simple substances like formic acid.

[Working from memory and happy to be corrected, but I'm sure I've
go that big picture right.]

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada