Old 15-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Tim Lamb

In article , Stan The Man
writes

Apropos of another issue raised in this thread, I have fully
investigated my Permitted Development Rights and provided that any
erection is a) less than 4m tall to the apex; b) no nearer the road
than the front of my house; c) at least 5m away from my house; and d)
would not, in aggregate with my other outbuildings, cover more than 50
percent of my garden, I am permitted to erect as many buildings as I
desire -- regardless of how ugly they are, whether they overlook
neighbours' properties, whether I lay services to them for
accommodation purposes, etc, etc. In essence, as long as the basic
guidelines are adhered to, the local planners have no further interest
in permitted development buildings.

Four metres isn't enough for a 2-storey building of course. But it's
enough for a single storey garden studio, granny annexe, double, triple
or quadruple garage, etc. In fact, I plan to use my permitted
development rights to erect a large garage on the formerly agricultural
part of my garden.

There's some irony here since anyone who exploits their permitted
development rights to the full and without taste or consideration for
others could well end up with a grotesque blot on the landscape, even
here in leafy Berkshire.

Quite. However they will not let you erect a *dwelling* without full
planning.

regards
--
Tim Lamb