Old 16-08-2004, 06:18 AM
Steve Ravet

jojo wrote:
I know it durable enough, but I'm not sure how to install it properly.
Once I cut away the st. Augustine, how deep should the crushed granite be?
Do I need to rent a compactor and compact it? I would like to define the
area with some
sort of drought tolerant border plants...do you have any suggestions?

It needs to be raised above the surrounding area. Decomposed granite is
nearly impervious to weeds, either seeds from above or runners from
below. But if the rain washes dirt into it then forget it. I did a
cactus bed with it, about 2" deep without any kind of weed barrier, and
never needed to weed it in several years. Another bed that caught
runoff from the road was constantly full of weeds.

--steve