Old 11-08-2004, 04:15 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , ~ Windsong ~
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message

When I buy a citrus tree, I shop for the exact species, the same for
gardenias, azaleas and the same goes for lilies for me.

$4.50 is real cheap, but if you get 8 flowers all season, thats a high
cost per flower.

$$ If I got only 8 flowers per season I would blame myself - not the

lily.
They bloom like crazy if they're in the sun and fertilized regularly.

Which lily ?

## What do you mean which lily? They all bloom all summer, as long as
they're in a very sunny place.

$$ Your climate may be too HOT for hardy lilies. Some people,

including
myself, have no interest in tropicals that need constant replacement.

Why would Tropicals need to be replaced constantly ?

## Because in zone 6 they DIE! Not everyone lives in a tropical or
semi-tropical area.

I can grow hardy lilies with no problem.

## But you claim they don't bloom for you.

My
hardies last for years if divided every year.

And if you don't spend this time, you will get little to no flowers.

## That depends on the lily. Some need repotting every 2 years.

Many even grow out of their pots during the growing season, and once
that happens... bloom production falls off fast.

## I only had this happen with the large yellow lilies. Most need
repotting once a year - in spring.

I still have the original
yellows (they all had names which I have long since forgotten) which

blooms
from mid spring to frost. :-)

I doubt there is a profession reference that would conclude hardy
lilies are better bloomers than tropicals, in fact, they all say just
the opposite.

## I didn't say hardies are BETTER bloomers than tropical. I said many
people don't want the expense of replacing tropicals every spring. I know I
don't, and they don't survive here in TN over the winter.
--
Carol....
"Two can live as cheaply as one, for half as long."