Old 16-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Tony Williams

In article ,
SantaUK wrote:

He's placed strapping onto our joining fence, attached to the
fence posts. He has then laid on their side, 3x2 slabs, leaning
against this strapping, and then filled with soil. He has raised
his land by two feet, and subsequently, the fence on my side is 6
foot, but on his side, is then only 4 foot. Obviously all the
weight of this soil and slabs are against the fence, and my
concern is with drainage and stress on the fence, and the fact
that in two years time, what if the fence rots / snaps / breaks
etc, where do I go from there once it all slides into my garden?

I've got a 12ft run of retaining wall built from
2x2 concete paving slabs. They lean backwards at
about 10-20 degrees, and have been there for 12
years with no problems....... unlike the various
vertical brick-built retaining walls we have.

Consult with your neigbour about possible damage to
the fence and suggest, (as a joint project), digging
away behind his 3x2 slabs and putting a lean on them.
Tilt the tops of the slabs about 6" over.

Amicable solution, and you both get what you want.

--
Tony Williams.