Old 11-08-2004, 09:11 PM
DigitalVinyl

nutNhoney wrote:

Many sites indicate to not grow brussel sprouts where cabbage or
broccoli grew the year before. The same advice is given for other
vegetables. My current raised beds consist of sandy loam and compost
about 1/2 and 1/2 and a small amount of vermiculite. Since I'm using
raised beds and will be fortifying the soil at the end of the season
with compost, manure, sand, and vermiculite, does this advice apply?

I don't know specifically about brussel sprouts but the reason behind
any advice about growing a species in the same spot year after year
has to do with the buildup of organism or bacteria in the soil. Unless
you are trucking the soil away and replacing bacteria will remain. If
you amend it, bacteria will remain.

This is a tough issue for me cause I don't have much space so rotating
plants can be difficult. Every spot I have has had nightshade
variants(tomatoes, peppers or eggplant). SO rotating meaning opening
another plot. I also mixed tomato/pepper with broccoli/cauli which was
said to be a poor pairing because they need different amendments and
soil ph.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/