Old 12-08-2004, 04:36 AM
Angela Dougherty

In article ,
nutNhoney wrote:

Many sites indicate to not grow brussel sprouts where cabbage or
broccoli grew the year before. The same advice is given for other
vegetables. My current raised beds consist of sandy loam and compost
about 1/2 and 1/2 and a small amount of vermiculite. Since I'm using
raised beds and will be fortifying the soil at the end of the season
with compost, manure, sand, and vermiculite, does this advice apply?

Plants that come from the same families share the same susceptibility to
diseases. Common families include the cruciform vegetables (cabbage,
collards, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, mustard and others),
the nightshade family (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant) and
alliums (onions, garlic, chives, shallots). The most insidious diseases
are fungal. Once fungus spores are in the soil they are very difficult,
if not impossible, to eradicate, even with amendments. For that reason,
it is recommended that plants from the same family are not planted in
the same place more than two years in a row.

You might get lucky and never have an infection. This is unlikely. It
is better to keep track of what and where you plant. Rotating crops
isn't just an old wives' tale. It is based on experience. Good luck,
and may your plants be disease free!

Angela