Old 12-08-2004, 12:20 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

My flower pot filter only took one $8 19 gallon flower pot with no holes

Huh. A 19 gallon skippy filter cleans a 1000 gallon pond. Slick! So my
modest 220 gallon pond would be adequately served with a skippy filter
between 5 and 10 gallons in size. That's do-able.

Don't look at as "19 gallons does 1000 gallons" look at as "19 gallons
doing 7 large goldfish". Remember with those 1000 of gallons I have a lot
more plants and surface area than a 220 gallon pond. I'd still stick with
that 19 gallon size for your size pond.

My question now is, isn't the skippy filter a bio-filter, using bacteria
to remove nitrates/nitrites/ammonia? How does it do as a mechanical
filter? That is, does it also remove particulate matter, or do I need
something else for that?

It will do both, I'm not up on how the skippy works (down flow, up flow?)
but mine, using up flow traps fine debris at the bottom and the bio-media
higher up does the bio stuff. I have a mesh basket around my pump so the
big stuff can't clog the pump, so this system doesn't clean the bottom. Not
a big deal in my case as I have to drain the pond and remove all the baby
fish in the spring so the frogs can breed and do their thing. Thus I shop
vac the bottom in the spring. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~