Old 16-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Pam - gardengal

"AussieResc" wrote in message
We are putting in a new walk in front of our house, this is causing us to

move
some bushes. The first one we moved is an Arborvitae, it had been against

the
house so that side of it is bare, what can we do to stumulate new growth?

The other is a mugho pine that has very little growth in the inner

branches,
can we do anything to help growth there?

Like most conifers, arborvitae will not generate new growth from bare wood.
If there is still some foliage on these branches, moving the plant so that
it receives more even light conditions will help, but it is not a fast
process for them to fill in.

Ditto with the pine. The vast majority of conifers will simply not bud out
from old wood. Pruning should be done regularly and begun while the plant is
still quite young to keep it dense and compact.

If the plants are too spindly and bare, you may be best served by removing
and replacing them.

pam - gardengal