Old 16-08-2004, 09:08 PM
LeeAnne

Actually, I've discovered that it is a 'small green leafhopper'

Not really scientific I know:
http://home.att.net/~larvalbugbio/homoptera.html
2nd picture down on the right side of page, 'small green leafhopper on
prickly pear cactus pad'

I'll have to look in my bug book again, I don't see how I could have missed
it, hmmm.

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:43:53 -0400, "LeeAnne"
wrote:

Again, no picture yet ...

Bright green little suckers, maybe .25-.50 of an inch long. Their wings

are
folded upward (like a lacewing) and are not against the body like a fly

or
most bees. The closest I can come is a buffalo tree hopper, but unless

they
are young ones and will change considerably when they get to be adults,

then
that's not it. They do fly, sorta. They'll hop off a plant and then fly
their way to another (fast little suckers, I was trying to catch one!)

Hi LeeAnne,

It sounds like some kind of Treehopper, there are others
besides the Buffalo you mentioned.

See:

http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/~dietrich/treehome.html

http://www.bugguide.net/node/view/174

http://or.essortment.com/treehoppers_raqh.htm

Treehoppers (Hemiptera: Cicadomorpha: Membracoidea)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b