Old 17-08-2004, 02:26 AM
Compostman

This is very good advice. Coffee grounds are "green" and will aid in the
composting of the shredded paper. Don't worry too much about the
carbon-to-nitrogen ratio. Compost happens, sometimes faster than others. I
keep my compost a little on the dry side, but that's a personal preference.
I start each pile with a lot of ground up leaves and coffee grounds and then
add a lot of vegetable waste. Because vegetable waste and grass (which I
don't have) are very wet, I want to avoid my piles getting too wet.
------------------------------
John Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7
"simy1" wrote in message
om...
Jdmst wrote in message

. ..
Hi compostman, Thanks for the advice. I did meat office paper when I
refered to paper. In fact the place where I work often shreds 6 or 7
large garbage bags of it every couple of months or so. So that is the
stuff I would be looking at.

John

leave a bucket in the coffee room for spent coffee grounds, and when
you take home those 6 or 7 garbage bags, take home the bucket also.
The mixture will compost well. If you have no coffee, a 2:1
paper/fresh grass clippings will do also, though of course the grass
clippings are available only a few times a year and are usable only if
they are pesticide-free.