Old 17-08-2004, 03:14 AM
Cereus-validus

You are saying New Jersey has the same climate as southern California?

Are you on crack?

You surely could not have visited both places because their climates are
extremely different.

Neither is even close to the tropical climate of Guatemala, which is nothing
like that of zone 10 in the US and certainly not even remotely close to the
Mediterranean climate of southern California.

The plant seeds you suggest are not even those native to the US anyway. None
of them grow naturally in Guatemala either. Most wouldn't survive very long
in the tropical climate of Guatemala. Most of the plants that grow in
Guatemala would need to be grown in a botanical garden in the US and that
should give you some idea what would be better suited for growing there.

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message
newsV3Uc.19980$mD.2669@attbi_s02...
The previous post was particularly unhelpful. The climate you describe is
much like our zone 10, which includes a lot of coastal southern

California,
except for the rain. Many of the plants we grow as annuals are subtropical
in origin and should germinate and do well in that climate, specially in
containers. Impatiens should work, as would morning glories (Ipomoea),

seed
dahlias, brugmansia or daturas, heliotrope, pentas and even more common
things like petunias and nasturtiums. Some of these may grow naturally
there, but you could get some more specific cultivars that would be less
common. Avoid sending seeds of our more common perennials - most will
require a period of dormancy that will be non-existant in that climate.

pam - gardengal

"Applecandy" wrote in message
m...
Hi all,

I just got back from a trip to Guatemala, and the people in the guest
house I stayed in asked me to send them some flower seeds. However,
since I live in New Jersey, I have no idea what kinds of seeds would
work in Antigua, Guatemala, where the year-round temperature is
basically 60 - 80 degrees with a rainy season and a dry season. I'm
mostly looking for plants that can be grown in a container, and that
would grow well in the climate of Antigua.

How would I go about ascertaining this information? Is there a
website that I could go to, or do I need to have more detailed
information before I can order the proper seeds? The reason I want to
know is because a previous guest once sent these people a few bulbs
from Holland, and none of them ever grew, and I'd like to make sure
that I don't send plants that either won't germinate or will grow
poorly in the local climate.

Any information from some of the experts in this group would be
greatly appreciated!

Applecandy