Old 17-08-2004, 07:49 AM
Tony Halmarack

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:56:49 GMT, "Connor T"
wrote:

I'm not an expert on this, however i did seed my own lawn in the back, under
similar conditions - poor soil, and in a shaded area too.

I'd say wait. Mine came up patchy too, but over time it thickened out.
I've had fantastic results this year feeding it more growmore ( altho that
did cause scorching so i no better next time ) but it's starting to become a
proper lawn now... You can always throw some more seed on if you like, by
the sounds of it there's nothing else you need to do!

Dan

Thanks for the reply Dan.
I was a bit disappointed that after two careful attempts at evenly
distributed seeding, there were still very sparse and even bald
patches. The whole area gets plenty of sun and rain.

What really got me were the multiple, small roundish patches of
brown/dead grass that were appearing. I think this is caused by cats
(including our resident one). Yesterday there were a couple of very
indicative scratched up areas
I was holding off the serious mowing until the grass was better
established but I read in the NG archive that short grass isn't so
attractive to cats.

I spent yesterday evening searching the Web for d-i-y cat deterrent
systems. The problem is significant enough to justify the
50 or 60 quid required to purchase one of the commercial versions but
I wasn't impressed by the many reports of early equipment failure.
I prefer the water to the ultrasonic option.
Here's a link to the only d-i-y system I found. It's a PDF file
http://makeashorterlink.com/?V34A15119
--
Tony Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.