Old 17-08-2004, 06:40 PM
zxcvbob

Stan Goodman wrote:
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:56:36 UTC, "Tim Miller"
opined:

The best way I think would be to get a good rootstock and then graft
your orange on to that. You might want to try a few to make sure that
one makes it. Good luck.
ed

Seconded.

In this country, which is very big on citrus plantations, ALL citrus trees
are grafted onto strong rootstocks. Find out what is the usual rootstock for
your area, and go that way. Don't bother with any other approach.

I think citrus is usually grafted onto trifoliate orange, which can be
grown from seeds. Trifoliate orange is very hardy (and I think it's
nematode resistant), so if an especially hard freeze kills the top, you
still have the roots and can regraft it to grow a new fruit tree quickly.

Bob