Old 18-08-2004, 12:55 AM
dd

In article , Key Bored
wrote:

Hi All,

We recently moved to a new house in an area near Sacramento, CA where
jackrabbits and bunnies are common. At first, we thought they were cute,
hopping around our dirt yard and munching on the wild grass. We have just
finished landscaping the yard at considerable expense, and the bunnies have
already eaten dozens of the 1-gallon plants and groundcover, probably
several hundred dollars worth in a few days. We've done a web search on the
many "remedies" to keep rabbits away, including planting marigolds (they ate
every bit of them). Pepper sprinkled on the plants doesn't phase them--the
other day, a bunny knocked on the door and asked if we had any salt to go
along with the pepper. Many of the so-called bunny-resistant plants aren't
suitable in our climate. We don't have an outdoor dog or cat to chase them
away.

Our latest idea is to install chicken wire at the perimeter fencing, which
is the ornamental iron style with 4-inch spaces between bars. How high
should the wire be? I was thinking around 12-18" high, with a few inches
buried below dirt level. To jump the wire, they would have to jump between
the bars of the fence. I don't want to put up anything too elaborate or
conspicuous, since our homeowners association might frown upon it. Ideas?

Thanx,
Keybored

'
I had the same problem. I bought fox urine and put it in plastic
containers for "predator pee." The scent scared the bunnies, and they
were gone.