Old 18-08-2004, 12:27 AM
Phil L

Nick Maclaren wrote:
:: In article ,
:: Phil L wrote:
::: At least I think it's a mimosa tree, long 'fronds' on each
::: branch, holding many small leaves which curl up at night, the
::: tree itself had pinkish blooms on it and had long pods with a few
::: seeds in each, one of which ended up in my suitcase (in
::: Turkey)...would there be any possibility of having it as a
::: houseplant?....there's a picture here of one:
::: http://www.gardenerscorner.com/Mimosa.html
::
:: Pinkish? That's Albitzia julibrissin. I had one that dwined[*].
:: I have grown a few more from seed and will try again. They are a
:: bit big for houseplants, but you may succeed. They aren't mimosa,
:: but were called pink mimosa in Italy.
::
::[*] Lovely word. I first saw it in The Bogeyman.

Albizia according to google image search, cheers for the info...they do grow
in fairly cold places so I may have some success...Where I live is very
sheltered, being 20 feet below a 'siding' of a main road (the traffic is at
roof level) and this is on the North side, which prevents much cold weather
from getting onto the garden(s) which receives full sun all day...we have a
nine foot yucca at the front which flowers every year and stabs me every
time I cut the lawn.
I think I'll keep the seeds until spring and start them off with plenty of
heat until early summer and see what happens after that...unlesss you
suggest sowing them now? - I do have a greenhouse with gas heating...