Old 18-08-2004, 02:33 AM
Applecandy

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message om...
You are saying New Jersey has the same climate as southern California?

Are you on crack?

You surely could not have visited both places because their climates are
extremely different.

Neither is even close to the tropical climate of Guatemala, which is nothing
like that of zone 10 in the US and certainly not even remotely close to the
Mediterranean climate of southern California.

SNIP!

Actually, there are several very distinct climates in Guatemala,
because it has both a Carribean and a Pacific coastline, and quite an
array of mountain ranges. The area that includes the capital and
Antigua is at an elevation that means that the temperature rarely goes
above 80F, and at a latitudinal position that means that the
temperature rarely goes below 60F. When I think about "tropical"
climates I think of much higher temperatures and also generally higher
rainfall than occurs in Antigua.

The problem that I am having is that the situation I encountered in
Antigua doesn't seem like anything I've been able to read about on the
Internet, because as you said the situation in Guatemala is rather
remote from the conditions in USA zone 10. I was hoping to find some
suggestions about plants that would at least provide a season's worth
of flowers down there, and thank you to pam for your suggestion of
Impatiens, Ipomoea {morning glories}, dahlias, brugmansia/daturas,
heliotrope, pentas, & petunias and nasturtiums. If I don't get any
more concrete information I'll probably look into getting a few packs
of the varieties you suggested.

Hopefully someone else can provide either some more suggestions or a
commentary on the above-listed plants. I appreciate any and all
advice.

Applecandy