Old 18-08-2004, 02:40 AM
Applecandy

Kay Lancaster wrote in message ...
There's one big factor that I don't think you're considering... sending
seeds to many countries (or receiving them from another country) often
requires a phytosanitary certificate. This is to help protect local
crops from accidentally imported pests and diseases, which could be
potentially devastating (e.g., Dutch Elm Disease, SOD, Asian Longhorn
Beetle in US). Other countries are equally concerned about US diseases
being imported into their country. If you're still interested, have
your friends find out what the rules are in their country for receiving
imported seeds.

Here, for instance, is some information on phytosanitary requirements
for plant materials brought into the USA:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/pubs/f...phnursery.html
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/seeds/seedweb.html
Other countries may have similar rules.

Sorry to rain on the parade... it's often easier to give your friends
a gift certificate for a seed company that has the permits in place.

Kay Lancaster

Actually, I'm pretty sure I can send packages of seeds from places
like Park's or Burpee, which are well-sealed, but I'll look into the
phytosanitary requirements for Guatemala just to be sure. Thanks for
the advice.

I've seen a few places with the final dregs of this year's flower
seeds on super-duper clearance, would it make sense for me to send a
few of these with the advice that the plants would bloom for a year
only if they germinated at all? Even in the very unchanging and
temperate climate of Antigua, wouldn't these at least bloom once? Or
are the blooming cycles affected by the different lengths of day &
night, something that certainly doesn't occur in Antigua the way it
does in North America?

Again, I appreciate any replies and/or advice. Thanks!

Applecandy