Old 18-08-2004, 03:10 AM

Weeble,

Epiphyllums are very easy to root. There are many successfull methods,
here is mine.
1. allow cuttings to 'cure' for AT LEAST a week. Longer is fine. I've
left cuttings in a cool, shady spot
for three months before rooting with no ill effects.
2. Place cuttings about 1/2 inch deep in COMPLETELY DRY potting mix. Do
not water for at least a week
and when you water use about a tablespoonful per cutting. Excess
moisture will quickly rot the cuttings,
lack of moisture will not harm them a bit. If the humidity is fairly
high, 60% or so, cuttings will root without watering.
3. Keep an eye out for signs of rooting.
- stems begin to look plump
- arial roots begin to develop at the tips of the cuttings
- aerioles begin to develop hairs
- new growth appears
4. Gradually increase watering as new growth appears.
5. Rooting is best at temperatures of 70F or above.

I have used many potting mixes with success. The main requirement is good
drainage. My county has a municipal compost facility which composts leaves
collected in the fall. This stuff is the ultimate medium. It is coarse with
excellent drainage while providing tremendous fertility.
I have also used commercial peat/perlite mixes such as ProMix or Southland
Professional. I have found MiracleGro potting mix to be far inferior to all
others. For rooting cuttings I use a 50/50 peat-perlite/perlite to assure
good drainage.

Epiphyllums need a 30-90 day period of cool, dry dormancy during the
winter to develop flower buds. I keep mine in a mud room that gets down to
30F on the coldest January nights. I doubt that you will get any flowers if
you keep your plants in your computer room during the winter. Your orchids
would be a better choice but if you get no flowers you will have to find a
cooler winter spot.

Hope this helps,
--beeky

Weeble wrote:

I need some info on epiphyllums. I've found general culture info but I
would like to hear opinions on the best way to root cuttings and the best
indoor climate for them. I'm thinking of putting them either with my
orchids or in my computer room. Anyone's experiences will be welcome.

I've gotten two larger plants which are about two years old plus several
cuttings and two very small plants which are outside right now.

Also any input on potting media would help. I had thought of using cactus
soil mixed with regular potting soil and maybe some perlite and a bit of
charcoal.

Thanks
Shell