Old 18-08-2004, 03:41 AM
DigitalVinyl

Father Haskell wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote:

I bought pepper plants late this year and I didn't pay attention. I
bought a variety called "Jalapa" which is a little smaller than I
like. More importantly they don't turn red, they just rot on the
plant. I've thrown away about 15 peppers that after cracklin developed
rot points--often softening at the tip and dripping the insides out as
soggy ooze. NOrmally I leave peppers on the plant till I use
them--always harvesting reds (or with jalapeno crackled) first cause
they are them most mature. I can't do that with this variety! They
rot instead. When turning that brown color as they transition from
green to red that meant they are already bad!

What a disastrous variety! Live and learn

Ca deficiency. Dolomite new beds several weeks prior to fertilizing.
What does the foliage look like? Are older leaves yellowing and
dying?

No not at all, dark green leaves all over both Jalapa's the anaheim,
the bell pepper and the thai dragon plants. THey are all in a
star-like cluster with the Jalapa's at the left and right ends. I
don't believe this is BER at all. One, it occurs all over the pepper
from stem to tip in blotches. The worst ones were so completely rotted
that they slushed and poured out of the bottom, these were not black
sunken as much as the whole pepper was soggy dripping messes. The skin
was intact--it was the flesh underneath that ..uh liquified. I have
tomatoes and 5 peppers plants and none of them seem to have BER--at
least not as I've found it described.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/