Old 18-08-2004, 04:39 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news
"~ Windsong ~" wrote:

That sounds like poor management to me as much as dishonest employees.

As
for places like Wal-Mart - that wouldn't apply. They are not the ones

who
order the pond and garden merchandise for the stores.

But the employees are the ones who can make sure merchandise doesn't
sell by hiding price tags, putting it in poor locations where no one
sees it, bad mouthing things they don't want to sell, leaving it in the
stock room or storage trailer, etc.

=========================
Again you have a *management* problem then. Where is the store MANAGER and
ass't manager? It's their job to know what's in the store room and
trailers. The Wal-Marts and K-Marts here are set up in such a way that
hiding merchandise is almost impossible. As for discouraging sales....
I've seldom had anyone in any of these stores do that. And the employees
come and go so fast it can't possibly make a difference in the amount sold
or not sold. The Lowe's here marks things down to unreal prices to move
them in late summer. I paid 25¢ for beautiful hanging baskets of
impatience and some other type of flower. The hanging baskets alone are
worth over $1.49. The mini rose bushes were only 50¢ to a $1.00 each. I
bough some large beautiful blooming angelwing begonias in fancy large pots
for 50¢ each. There is nowhere the employees could be involved in all the
stock that didn't sell over the summer. I'm not saying some employees
aren't dishonest as I'm sure some are - but most left over merchandise is
not the fault of the employees.
Giving damaged or broken merchandise to employees is another matter. I can
see them "damaging" something so they can get it for free or dirt cheap -
but leftover ponds, shrubs, trees and plants???
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"If athletes get athletes foot, do astronauts get mistletoe?"