Old 18-08-2004, 12:53 PM
flower faerie

Kay wrote:

In article , flower faerie
writes

I have a small (3ft) monkey puzzle tree in a large pot.

I noticed that some of the leaves are going a bit brown along its edges
and the lowest branch looks as though it is dying.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

They're a bit iffy while small - sensitive to drought and to cold winds.
If it hasn't been raining for a few days, give it a couple of gallons of
water, and do this for the rest of this season. And this winter, give it
a rough windbreak - though at three foot it should be toughening up a
bit.

If you are unlucky and lose it, try replacing it with a much smaller one
- although you have to protect them in winter, they seem to settle
better, and they soon catch up.

Remember once they're settled they can grow easily 18 inches a year, so
site it accordingly!

I was worried about the prospect of it having some kind of disease, I'll
make sure I keep it well watered and keep an eye on it.

ff.