Old 13-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Xi Wang

Default Phal zebrina

Phal sumatrana (Korth & Rchb [1860]) is synonymous with Phal gersenii,
zebrina, and acutifolia.

Cheers,
Xi

Gene Schurg wrote:

Several years ago I bought at the auction a pot full of Phalaenopsis that
was labled Phal zebrina. It was a 4" pot that looked like a compot with all
the keikis around the base. It's been very slow to grow and adapt to my
culture. The plant is now in a 6" pot and still has about 5 keikis all
growing from the base.

Last year the %#*+&* thing teased me by putting out a spike that just grew
to peak out from under the leaves but no flower. This year it has 4 or 5
spikes and I actually see flower buds.

When I check orchidspecies.com Jay has a picture labled zebrina but refers
the reader to sumatrana which has a very different picture of of a flower.
Since my flowers are a couple of weeks away from opening I'm wondering which
one I'll have.

Is Phal. zebrina a syn. for Phal. sumatrana?

Good growing,
Gene