Old 18-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Vox Humana

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Vox Humana" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in

message

Maybe if people didn't turn a medical procedure into a moralist,

judgmental
battle it wouldn't be so traumatic.

In the UK, contraception and abortion are available from both the
National Health Service (free) and private clinics. There's a nationwide
educational policy of teaching sex-education including contraception in
schools. Abortion isn't a political-party issue at government
level.(Though of course, there are many objectors at grass roots level).
It might not involve a moralist judgemental battle here to the extent
you suggest in the USA, but I suspect to most women abortion is still
more of an emotional and personal trauma than other "medical
procedures". All women seeking an abortion are supposedly counselled
first.

I don't think abortion should be used
as a contraceptive method, but only because there are far less invasive
methods available. Unfortunately, the very same people who have made

the
prohibition of abortion their raison d'être also want to ban any

discussion
of birth control methods, particularly if that discussion takes place in

school. Thank to idiots like George Bush, people are being subjected to

the
ridiculous "abstinence only" approach to sexuality.

Is that called the silver-ring pledge or some such? They've been on a
mission over here fairly recently but I don't know what reception they
got.

I don't know about "silver-ring" but I can assure you that it is George
Bush's "silver lining" when it comes to generating votes among his
fundamentalist base. There are only two issues that concern the religious
right - sex, and sex.