Old 18-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Philippe

figure to switch between nameservers takes about 72 hours to propogate
globally.

in other words, make sure you do it 3 days or so before your domain
expires

the money per year is basically to pay a company to maintain a small (5
kb max) text file for you on 2 servers.

Philippe

Kathy,

There are now many many sources for domain names. Another layer has
been introduced into the system. These new companies literally
"wholesale" domain names from Network Solutions and resell them to
you.

The upside is that they are providing MUCH cheaper prices. I pay
$8/year for orchidphotos.org through namecheap.com and about $35/yr
for erichunt.com through Network Solutions. Now that erichunt.com
isn't as critical a website to keep up - I will probably change the
registration over to namecheap.

That's my one concern - I'm still not completely clear on what happens
when you move your domain from one registrar to another.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org