Old 18-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Benign Vanilla

"PlainBill" wrote in message
snip
15 years or so ago (shortly after Sam Walton gave up his hands-on
control of the company) there was a big outcry over a change in policy
at the Sams Club bakeries. Previously the bakery would give the
outdated baked goods to local shelters for distribution to the
residents. Obviously, this was appreciated by The Salvation Army,
Women in Distress, and countless homeless shelters. Then Sams Club
discontinued the practice. According to the newspaper article, they
now ran all outdated bakery goods through a $50,000 'blender' they
had installed in each store. I could only hope that if the shelters
then had to buy their baked goods, they went to Costco.

snip

The issue of food is more complicated. I speak from experience working for a
supermarket. We were donating food to homeless shelters and were told to
stop due to lawsuits experienced by other markets, when people ate the food
and got sick.

BV.