Old 18-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Franz Heymann

"Roz Lacey" wrote in message
"Phil L" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:
:: I am mean that lightweight double-skinned stuff which can be

cut
:: with a pocket knife. It has an overall thickness of about 5 or

6
:: mm. It is translucent, but not transparent.
:: Which urgler would like to report on its usefulness for making
:: "rectangular cloches", or small portable frames?
:: What does one use for gluing two pieces together?
::
:: Franz

I've built a complete greenhouse out of it and its sturdy stuff

(the
thicker
stuff used for conservatory rooves)....you can't really glue it

together
as
it's hollow, but you can use 1X1 timber at the corners and use

small
screws
to hold it in place, if it's the really thin stuff, you can score

it with
knife but not cut it right through, and bend it at ninety degrees,

using a
staple gun to affix it to the corner struts.

There is a lovely old feller who makes portable frames from that

very
material. He made mine by cutting two wooden side ends exactly the

same,
sloping from back to front. The wooden back end was much higher

than the
front. Two struts were added across the top for support and

stability. The
polycarb sheet consisted of four planks and these could be removed

when
plants decided to shoot up high in any area you choose.. Because

they were
translucent, the seedlings were warm and protected from the sun and

cuttings
could not fail to root. When it rained, the poly took the shock and
diffused the water directly to the plants. I never remove the

planks to
water, just aim the spray over the whole frame. It is the best

frame I have
ever used. The old guy collected the scrap plastic from a local

plastics
Co.

Thanks. Roz, for the information. I shall build myself some frames
out of this material in time for the winter. I propose not to use any
wood, but to make sides and top of polycarbonate for maximum sunlight
trapping.

Franz