Old 15-08-2004, 03:40 AM
tim chandler

Larry,

It sure sounds like a leak. To lose a foot a day in a 3'x3' area (only 9
square feet of surface area) is 9 cubic feet of water or about 67-68 gallons
a day! If you had, say, 150 square feet of pond instead in full sun and
lived in a hot and dry and/or windy climate, then to lose that much a day
would take it down less than an inch and wouldn't be out of the range for
evaporation alone.

You may be able to pin it down by filling everything up to the brim but not
running the waterfall. Let it stand for a day and see what part loses
water. If nothing goes down, then yes, evaporation from your waterfall
could be the problem - but to lose that much in a day I'd still suspect a
leak.

Happy Ponding,
Tim

"Larry" wrote in message
This is my first post so my apologies if this has been covered in
recent posts. I belong to rec. birds and someone directed me to you.

I have recently put in a small two tier waterfall draining into a
3'x3' "pond" for my feathered friends. Waterfall is about 6-8'
total length. Pond/receptacle part is loosing about 12" of water per
day. In comparison to a pool 12" is a lot but for this small holding
area I'm sure it isn't.

I finally put in a dripper system, running a 1/4" tube underground
with an adjustable mister at the pond end. Too lazy to run the hose
for 20 minutes each day.

I'm 98% sure the pond does not have a leak. Heavy duty rubber was put
in. I think I'm just no used to the evaporation rate and didn't know
what to expect.

Can anyone with a small warterfall/pond feature reassure me that they
too must top up their feature as I am?

Thank you.

Larry
Southern Ontario