Old 13-08-2004, 02:52 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Scott M." wrote in message
I thought this might happen sooner or later, given my rural location. My son
photographed a blue heron scoping out my pond a couple of days ago. I posted
three pictures at http://tinyurl.com/5vtng. Look at the last three photos,
named Heron1,2 & 3.

The question now is what can I do to discourage the heron and still keep
fish and maintain the esthetics of my pond. It looks like my 4 koi have
stayed deep enough to stay out of his reach, so far. I have laid some
chicken wire fencing over part of the pond for now but need a permanent
solution. Should I put up a low electric fence so that he gets shocked when
he approaches the edge?

I suspect he will keep returning, now that he knows the fish are there.
They will keep coming back. More and more will come. We went through that
for several years. Finally in disgust we bought those black bird-nets and
covered the ponds. Before the herons we were losing our koi and goldfish to
water snakes, mud turtles, bullfrogs and herons. In our case it was either
net the ponds or turn them over to the predators and not keep fish. If you
have herons you will probably also see frogs and snakes.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried