Old 14-08-2004, 02:42 AM
Brian Berggoetz

Default [IBC] Ground Layer Suckers

Hi all- I have an unidentified native that I received and thought I
would "pot layer" it. It is in the local cactus mortar mix. It is a
very peculiar plant. After making cuttings to see if those would take,
I got new growth in a few days. On old wood, too. The smaller branches
are more typical cuttings. It seems the thicker the cutting the faster
the new growth. So I figured I'd try a ground layer to get it off of
the bad roots. Within a couple of weeks it is suckering out of the top
and bottom of the pot. I am totally amazed at this plant. At least one
sucker is comimg from the girdled site. It was a complete ring of bark
removed. The soil is half course bonsai mix and half peat. Do the
suckers mean I did something wrong in girdlng? Or is this just a
strange and wonderful tree?

Brian Tucson,AZ Sunset Zone 12

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++