Old 19-08-2004, 09:34 AM
Robert E A Harvey

marie wrote

Is it worth dragging it all through the small claims court, or is that
the approach they want me to take, and just dont bother.

Only you can know how important this is to you. If it were me, I'd
hold my head high, and then tell the entire world your point of view -
being careful not to slander/libel of course. It is presumably
perfectly true to say "The council deny that thier weedkiller was
responsible for the death of my trees a few weeks later". But then,
I'm not the sort to expect money FROM councils anyway.

This council is renowned for not admitting to anything they do wrong.

It is undoubtedly the case that they have resources for being bl**dy
awkward. Trained in it, yer local authority official.

From what you have written - which is , of course, your side of the
tale - it would appear that the prima face case of coincidence has not
been adequately explained by the other side of the arguement. Have
they even attempted to address it?

I really dont know what to do for the best.

I think you need some sort of expert advice, from someone independant
- anothre weedkiller manufacturer, a professinal horticulturalist.
Have you consdered asking the BBC consumer affairs programmes to get
involved? Or your local radio station? Or the citizens advice
beaureau? Snag is, time is rushing on and the evidence is getting
less obvious.

Thank you for all the supportive replies, it's very much appreciated.

In the end, I doubt you will win if they stick thier heels in. But
you can at least make thier life a misery for a bit, and they might be
a bit more responsible in future. A friend of mine has had his sumach
tree destroyed several times by contract verge cutters, and got
nowhere with complaints. But he persists.