Old 19-08-2004, 02:01 PM
GwG

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:39:31 +0100, "GwG" wrote:

in fact, I have never even considered that there
could be a problem, but to suggest jailing me for not being aware,
without even offering any education on the subject, seems a bit

extreme.

Ignorance of the law is no defence. It is an offence to pollute the
atmosphere ... full stop.

It would have been helpful to have a reference to a particular law
regarding fence spraying, (as this is what is being discussed here),
then I might be suitably informed of what I am being ignorant about. Is
it just certain chemicals that should not be sprayed, or is it illegal
to spray any preservatives on a fence, no matter how safe that
preservative may be?

One of the wood preservative agents mentioned in an earlier posting
contains a particularly toxic cocktail of pollutants.

If so, why not name the preservative, instead of vaguely referring to it
as "One of the wood preservative agents mentioned in an earlier posting"
I have read somewhere that certain forms of creosote are harmful, but I
think those forms of creosote are harmful, no matter how they are
applied, so they probably should not be used anyway.
Am I being ignorant of the law regarding the spraying of preservatives
on fences, or does the law specifically refer to the spraying of toxic
substances on fences?