Old 19-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Guy Bradley

"Hassen bin Lai" wrote in message
om...
I've been pulling weeds from an untended plot. Most are over 4'

tall.
It's slow and my muscles are sore. Is it better just to cut them
down to the ground or should I continue trying to put out roots and
all?

If you don't get them by the roots, they'll just grow back. If the
weeds are annuals, cutting them will aid in minimizing seed formation,
but in general there will be enough seeds in the ground for next year
anyway.

I suggest some mechanical means be used. Hoe first, then rake up the
dislodged plants. This will remove the bulk of the plants and you can
hand pick the rest. You may fork up the plants, then rake. Even
better, if you can do it, is to till the area. However, the plants
will get entwined on the axle of the tiller and make a real mess.

If you're amenable to chemical use, spray with Roundup. This will kill
everything and you can start over.

Good Luck,

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO