Old 19-08-2004, 03:26 PM
MattR

I have a big stock tank, too. Something like 3' x 4'. Not sure how many
gallons. But my pond is only 1300 gallons (roughly 13' x 8'). Your pond
sounds huge, should look nice when it's all done. My media is a bunch
of cut up drinking straws. Odd thing is the straws got pushed to the
side so the water basically goes around the media. But it works! I
think I just have a vegie filter without the vegies. Or it's just a
green muck filter. I might just turn it into a vegie filter so let me
know how yours works.

The comment by your neighbors that you have plenty of filtration is
probably true for reducing ammonia but probably not for reducing pea
soup. I'm thinking your vegie filter will work fine. Unfortunately
you're starting late in the season and it might not start working until
it gets cold.

Weather up this way? If I could catch all the rain water I wouldn't
have to top my pond off for a year. It dumped up here. So my pond is
full but the water lillies still look ripped up from the hail. And it's
still dumping. And I'm going camping this weekend.

Matt

news.pcisys.net wrote:
1 100 gallon stock tank (Rubber maid) and 2 70 gallon stock tanks. These
are my bio/mechanical filters. Filter media: black floor scrubber pads
(cut up) and white floor scrubber pads. Two Silent giant 4300 pumps.
Last weekend I built a veggie filter; 24' X 1.9' X 18" deep. I am
waiting for the liner to come in. I should have it up and running by
this weekend. Pond is in full sun most of the day.
In the bio filters, I have just stuck some arrow head and mint in just
to see what would happen. I looks like the mint and arrowhead are
living, putting down roots and my live. This morning I noticed I could
see a few inches deeper in the pond. Maybe the clouds and cooler temps
down here have helped. Any suggestions? I have been assured by my
neighbors (both ponders) that I have "plenty of filtration" for my size
pond (19' X 21' X 4.5' Irregular shaped)
We just go a quick huge storm here in the Springs. Any weather up your
way?
W. Dale