Old 19-08-2004, 03:31 PM
GwG

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:01:53 +0100, "GwG" wrote:

It would have been helpful to have a reference to a particular law
regarding fence spraying, (as this is what is being discussed here),
then I might be suitably informed of what I am being ignorant about.

Is
it just certain chemicals that should not be sprayed, or is it

illegal
to spray any preservatives on a fence, no matter how safe that
preservative may be?

THE ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT 1990 (EPA 1990)
Part I: Integrated Pollution Control (IPC) and Local Authority Air
Pollution Control (LAAPC)

Section PG6/33(97) - wood coating processes.

HTH.

Well no it doesn't help in this case, but thanks for looking it up.
This seems to concern the manufacture of wood products, not the
painting of a garden fence, so hardly relevant here.
In fact, the quotes below taken from the site, contradict the belief
that there may be a law on fence spraying, unless you have a very big
fence.

Coating Timber Products

You will need a permit if you coat wood and the process involves the use
of over 5 tonnes of organic solvent in any 12 month period.

Solvent Use

Coating of wooden surfaces is a listed activity in the EU Solvents
Emissions Directive (SED). The SED aims to reduce the amount of Volatile
Organic Compounds (VOCs) released to air by phasing out certain solvents
and reducing emissions of others. If you are carrying out coating of
wood and use more than 15 tonnes of solvent per annum, your
Environmental Regulator or local authority will take the requirements of
the SED into account when setting the conditions of your permit. You may
need to be taking action now, use the links below for more information
on SED./Quote