Old 15-08-2004, 04:58 AM
Les linfoot

Sorry to be so long getting back to the group on this. I put the
question up without considering that I would be unable to get to a
computer for the next day and a half. I'm going to have to invoke the
"I'm-still-kind-of-new-at-this" clause in my defence.

Marty; I am beginning to wonder if you are not right on the money. After
reading Nina's response (see reply below) I wonder if I might, as you
suspect, really be dealing with a root problem.

Nina; I really appreciate someone with your level of expertise taking
the time to advise me. In answer to your questions..
Yes, the tree is outdoors. I am misting an outdoor tree because
Tomlinson (The Complete Book of Bonsai, page 116) says, "Water
generously once a day and mist-spray foliage daily during the summer
months." Adams (Bonsai Design: Deciduous and Coniferous Trees, page 47,
in the chapter devoted to junipers and cryptomeria) says, "Central to
the robust health of Junipers, is daily foliar misting, which supplies
the 'cloud cover' so appreciated by this species. this also applies to
Cryptomeria." Lewis (Bonsai: A Care Manual, page 87) says, "Cryptomeria
inhabit the lower slopes of mountains where they are shrouded in mist in
the morning and exposed to the sun for the rest of the day. Provided you
can ensure that the pot will not dry out through evaporation, and you
can spray the foliage two or three times a day, your cryptomeria will do
well in full sun."

Air circulation is pretty good, even in the semi-shaded spot I have move
the tree to.

Black spots? This is new and useful info. A search with a magnifying
lens reveals no little black spots. Perhaps this is not blight, after
all.

The tree is under cover so even if it did rain here (weather has been
unusually warm and dry) it would not get wet.

While checking the Colin Lewis reference, I noticed a paragraph about
how spider mites love cryptomeria, but I can't see them. Should I spray
with an insecticide just in case?

The browning of the needles is scattered over the whole tree. It does
not begin at the ends of the branches and work its way in the way it did
with our blighted garden pyracanthas earlier this year.

I have been cutting back where I can, disinfecting tools with bleach as
I go.

Thanks again for your help. Any new ideas gratefully recieved.

Les Linfoot
New Westminster, BC, Canada
Zone 8