Old 19-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Stephen M. Henning

(Laur) wrote:

I have a small garden, and have had one every year for the past
couple of years. I've never had deer eat anything. One reason is
because I grow herbs in my garden, and deer don't like herbs. Also,
to keep bugs away from our tomato plants, I surround the perimeter of
the garden with marigolds.

There are many places deer have never been. However, once they find a
place they usually go back. Their favorite places are places that
either have fruit like apples or are green in the winter. Most herbs
have no fruit and aren't green in the winter. However when food is
in short supply, deer will browse even the most undesirable plants.

Deer do like some herbs such as:

Aegopodium podagaria - goutweed, herb gerard
Cherianthus - wallflower
Hosta - candy to deer
Hemerocallis - daylily
Pelargonium - geranium