Old 19-08-2004, 10:35 PM
paghat

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:31:32 -0700,
(paghat)
opined:

Well grown rugosas (wildest forms with very upright canes) look extremely
interesting leafless in winter, & if not harvested they keep the last of
their bright orange hips all through autumn & part of winter, very
decorative for the hips. They aren't pruned until just before spring, so
their winter presence is pretty interesting. Nothing says they can't be
planted amidst something evergreen too though. I've planted mine with
evergreen rockroses (but those wouldn't likely do well in zone 5) & an
evergreen "tree ivy" & an evergreen portuguese laurel cherry, all stuff
that hardly ever needs watering. Evergreen holly-like Mahonia (Oregon
Grape) might also mix in well, & would do really well in zone 5 mixed in
with rugosa roses.

-paggers

I have a rosa rugosa out back. It's downright deadly. I have to move it this
winter. Maybe I will try moving it under the eave of my home in a dry

spot. I
agree with the winter interest, but in a foundation planting it may

not...well,
scratch that. I suppose I'm seeing a mental image of something formal, and I
don't know why I have that image. Nothing in my garden is formal.

Since you're making nice, I remember you being interested in the perennial
morning glory. I will have some cuttings. Would you like one when I get them
organized?

Victoria

Thanks but I did try them with lousy results (vines grew well, but
seemingly the season here is too short for them to bloom worth a damn;
then this past harsher-than-average winter seems to have killed what
little was there) so I've given up on them for now.

Right, rugosa roses should NOT be planted near where one would be walking.
They compare to Devil's Walking Sticks for thorniness.

-paggers

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com