Old 14-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Ray

Joanna,

The "nodding" nature of the bud is perfectly normal. That is how the flower
is displayed, once it is open.

Personally, I don't stake paph spikes until they show a need for it, if they
do at all. Some are just stronger than others. The loop-stake was probably
a good way to keep the spike from breaking when the plant was moved.

I don't see how the diameter of the stake has any relationship to the
diameter of the spike...

..
"J Fortuna" wrote in message
My first Paph is in bud, and I am wondering when to stake it. With a Phal

would start staking fairly early on, but I don't know anything about

staking
Paphs. This one's spike is already about 6 inches long, and the spike is
curled up for the last inch or so before the bud -- is this curling

normal,
will it straighten out on its own? Other than the last inch or so, the

rest
of the spike is already very straight, and does not appear to need

staking.
When I got this Paph in January in bloom, it's spike was perfectly
straightly staked, and about twice as tall as it currently is. It's bloom
was placed in a loop support in the wire stake. I still have the stake,
although I wonder how useful it will be unless the height of this spike is
very close to the height of the previous spike, might need to acquire
another metal stake otherwise, since the bamboo ones that I usually use

for
my Phals would be way too thick for this thin Paph spike.

Any ideas on proper Paph staking would be welcome. Thanks.

Joanna