Old 20-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Ka30P

- As long as the media isn't clogged up it doesn't go *bad*. It provides places
for bacteria to colonize. Clogged media wouldn't allow water contact with the
bacteria and the bacteria would die in the clogging muck, so if it is clear
it's still good.
- UV light bulbs do wear out and need to be replaced. They have nothing to do
with filtration. They just work on algae. And they only work on single cell
algae, the kind that lives free floating in the water. They pass under the uv
light, get beat up and then they become dead algae cells. UV does not work on
string algae as string algae never goes through the uv light water stream.
- haven't used barley straw. I keep my pond clear with plant filtration (water
hyacinth and watercress).

kathy :-)
algae primer